Recently Facebook has changed how you can get people to see your posts. No more will writing a simple status update get you seen by your potential clients. You want your posts to get into the Top News feed as often as possible. It is based on a recently updated algorithm that is partially kept secret, but new research (including http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-10-18/the-facebook-news-feed-how-it-works-the-10-biggest-secrets/) lets us know 5 great ways to get placement there. Using these points you can get your posts in front of people the minute they log into Facebook.
1. Video and photos (for photos, use them as illustrations for your posts) in your status update carry a large weight when Facebook weighs what to put in the Top News feed.
2. Links will also rank you highly. So, don’t simply write a status update. Attach a link that’s relevant to your posts and you will outrank those who don’t.
3. Write questions and invite interaction. Getting a lot of comments – not likes – but comments will pull your ranking high.
4. Be connected and topical. Facebook weights how connected the people are who are commenting when ranking how high your post shows up in the Top News feed. So, keep adding friends. It’s amazing that some people will never show up as “Top News” simply because they are not well connected and/or interacting. (Here’s a funny spin on how to give away a free tshirt to get into “Top News”, though not necessarily by being topical or connected - http://zh-cn.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=360573600468.)
5. Post only once a day in the morning. This will give you more ability to get comments that will crawl you up the algorithm (it is also based on time, so if you only have comments in the morning you will not be in the Top News feed by the end of the day).
A lot of ineffective time can be spent as a business on Facebook, and with the Top News feed’s recent change in the algorithm that’s even more true. Following the steps above is a game changer. Let me know how this worked for you on my page at www.facebook.com/LindsaytheCoach. The benefit, too, is that me and my 5000 friends will then comment on your post ~ pulling you up the algorithm!